Kickstarter Gadgets: Metawatch STRATA Brings The Smatwatch To iOS and Android
27/07/2012 | Nicholas Griffin
MetaWatch has just announced that it is entering the consumer smartwatch market with their newest product line, named STRATA which launched on Kickstarter a couple of days ago.
The watch will connect to your iPhone 4S or Android smartphones via Bluetooth 4.0 technology, that has been designed in a new sporty design, the watch will vibrate each time you get an incoming call, SMS, email or any other Notification.
The smartwatch also has multiple watch faces and a set of weather, stock and calendar widgets, alongside which there is also a lost phone alarm, timers and alarms and music control.
Alongside that the watch also has an integrated running and cycling app, and is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPad 3 and other various Android devices.
The watch is also 5 ATM water-resistant, the device also has a 3 Axis accelerometer and an ambient light sensor, and an SDK for smartphone developers.
Check out the video below and head over to Metawatches Kicktarter page, to get your own STRATA watch if you pledge $159 or more.
MetaWatch™ enters consumer smartwatch market with STRATA
- iOS & Android compatible smartwatch launches today on Kickstarter; first shipments in September
DALLAS and ESPOO, Finland, July 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ – Today, MetaWatch announced it is entering the consumer smartwatch market with its newest product line called STRATA. Launching on Kickstarter, a crowdsourcing platform that helps creative projects come to life, STRATA connects with iPhone® 4S and Android smartphones via Bluetooth 4.0 technology. Styled as an attractive sport watch, STRATA’s vibrating alert notifies you about incoming calls, SMS, emails, Facebook notifications, Twitter messages and it controls your music. Configurable on-screen widgets provide at-a-glance updates on weather, appointments, stock prices and more. It also comes bundled with both a running & cycling app to provide glanceable feedback during your workout.
“A vibrating alert and a simple glance reveals everything you need to decide whether to act on a notification now or later. This saves time, conserves phone battery, and eliminates much of the ‘friction’ that comes with using smartphones,” said Bill Geiser, CEO and co-founder of MetaWatch. Geiser adds, “My co-founder and I have been developing smartwatches for the past 8 years. We’ve been enhancing the supply chain and production network behind MetaWatch for the past 6 years. And, we’ve been developing the MetaWatch platform for the past two years. This means initial Kickstarter backers will receive their watches in September and all backers will receive their watches by November, in time for the Holidays.”
- Multiple Watch Faces
- Notifications: SMS, Email, Facebook & Twitter
- Weather / Stock / Calendar Widgets
- Lost Phone Alarm, Alarms & Timers, & Music Control
- Integrated Running and Cycling App
- Handset compatibility: iPhone 4S, iPad (3), Android (various)
- 5 ATM water resistant
- 96×96 mirror polymer network display
- Vibrating alerts
- 6 buttons
- Rechargeable (5-7 day battery life)
- Bluetooth® 4.0 wireless technology
- 3 Axis accelerometer / ambient light sensor
- SDK for smartphone application developers
Pricing, availability, and more
- Availability date: Initial shipments to Kickstarter backers begin September 2012, Pricing: USD $159 – $179
- Regions shipped to: US, Europe, Japan, Korea, China, Australia/New Zealand
- Where to buy: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/metawatch/metawatch-strata-the-smartwatch-for-the-iphone-4s
- Available Styles: Black/Olympian Blue; Black/Tangerine; Black/Optic Green; Black/Digital Camo; & a limited edition style to be created by artist & graphic designer,Susan Kare
MetaWatch is a privately-held company focusing on reinventing the watch as a stylish and relevant mobile accessory. The founding team, former Fossil Watch execs, first started designing Bluetooth connected watches in 2004. MetaWatch is based in Dallas, Texas and has a R&D facility in Espoo, Finland.
MetaWatch is a trademark of MetaWatch Ltd. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Apple, iPhone and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by MetaWatch Ltd is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.