After announcing the update a long time ago, Sky has finally released voice command features for Sky Q.
This will allow users of Sky Q to use the touch remote’s built-in microphone in order to command their Sky Q box with your voice, however, it’s not supported on the non-touch remote.
To use it, you can quick press the side-mounted mic button, after which you can speak your command out loud in order to search for shows and movies.
But that’s not all that you can do, you can also use the following commands:
- Name of a movie, TV show, genre, actor or director
- Movies with a specific age rating (U, PG, 15, 18), star rating and actor, for example ‘action movies with Tom Cruise’ or ‘kids movies rated U’ , or ‘comedy movies rated five stars’
- Sports, sports team, or sporting event on a particular day, competition or tournament such as ‘Live cricket on this weekend’ or‘Liverpool game’
- A hidden collection of famous movie quotes, for example “you can’t handle the truth”, “you had me at hello,” “my precious” and “Houston, we have a problem” among others
- TV channel to see what’s on now and coming on later, for example, ‘what’s on Sky Atlantic tonight’
Sadly, it is mostly for searching for content, rather than actually being able to control the box.
But there will be more to launch alongside this new voice search feature, with an update to the ‘My Q’ section, with the ‘Recordings’ and ‘TV Guide’ moved to more easily-accessible shows, with better highlighting for recommended shows and new series.