CryTek has this week announced a new business model for its virtual reality games engine, called CryEngine V.
The new engine was launched today during the 2016 Games Developers Conference (GDC), but what makes it interesting, is that CryEngine V will be available with a “pay what you want” pricing scheme.
Alongside the engine, you will also find the new CryEngine Marketplace to join it.
The Marketplace will allow developers to access individual assets from Crytek’s library, as well as other from the community and other vendors, with access to materials, sounds and 3D objects
The games engine in particular, will allow developers to access the full feature set and source code, without obligation to pay royalties or additional service charges, for whatever they wish, even free.
However, those who do make a contribution to the software will allow CryTek to fund its new Indie Development Fund, which will directly support indie projects around the world.
Crytek’s Founder, CEO & President, Cevat Yerli explains :
CRYENGINE V represents our commitment to not only offering developers today’s most advanced engine technology, but also to making it as accessible as possible. The arrival of CRYENGINE Marketplace, the revamped engine UI, and new support channels will make it easier than ever to tap into the power of CRYENGINE – at a price that feels comfortable for each and every individual. Community is at the heart of our Pay What You Want Model, which we hope will foster closer collaboration between us and developers as well as developers amongst themselves
Here’s the full list of new features for the Cryengine.
– C# Enabled: A new API that allows developers who know C# to start scripting in CRYENGINE V right away.
– Reworked Low Overhead Renderer: Significantly increases the performance of today’s hardware in graphically intensive applications.
– DirectX 12 support: Utilize the latest branch of DirectX to take greater control of hardware resources.
– Advanced Volumetric Cloud System: Optimized for VR to give clouds full 3D spatial rendering for higher quality with minimal performance hit.
– New particle system: Create stunning real-time fluid effects, handled almost entirely on the GPU.
– A new launcher and UI: Navigate CRYENGINE more intuitively thanks to a streamlined UI which includes realigned features and new icon groupings.
– FMOD Studio support: Allowing greater flexibility in audio middleware selection.
– CRYENGINE Answers: A dedicated channel where the CRYENGINE community can share questions and answers.