The inclusion of USB Type-C and the removal of old ports is probably going to see in a lot of laptops outside of just the MacBook soon, as Thunderbolt 3 combined with USB Type-C is an awesome combination, however, that does come at a cost.
You no longer have all of the old ports that you have grown to love and use.
Today, Elgato unveiled a new Thunderbolt 3 dock at CES 2017 that they aim to help you solve this problem with.
It will work with any Thunderbolt 3 compatible device such a MacBook Pro or a Razer Blade.
Once connected over the included 1.6 foot Thunderbolt 3 cable and power supply you are ready to expand your notebooks IO with a range of I/O, including:
- 2x Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) with support for:
- Thunderbolt (40 Gb/s)
- Computer Charging (up to 85 W)
- Device Power (up to 15 W)
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gb/s)
- DisplayPort (up to 4K at 60 Hz)
- 1x DisplayPort with support for:
- DisplayPort 1.2 (up to 4K at 60 Hz)
- HDMI 1.4b (up to 4K at 30 Hz)
- 1x RJ45 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
- 3x USB 3.0 (5 Gb/s, 1.5 A, USB Battery Charging 1.2 & UASP)
- 1x 3.5 mm Headphone Output (amplified analog stereo)
- 1x 3.5 mm Microphone Input (mono)
- 1x Power Input (DC 20 V, 8.5 A)
Elgato says that the Thunderbolt 3 dock will be available in Apple Stores by the end of the month for $299.95 in the US, we don’t yet know about availability in other regions.