Whenever I give advice about a new case, I always say get an Apple Certified one. They may be a little more expensive, but they always have a better build quality and are unlikely to leave you any horrible surprises.

Oliva Retter is one person who sadly learned this recently after the iPhone 5C case she purchased from New Look burst open, leaving a permanent scar on the 9-year-old girl, all whilst the girl was unsuspectingly sleeping next to the case in her bed.

The plastic backing contained a thick liquid that allowed glitter sparkles, unicorns and rainbow shapes to move around when shaken, similar to a snow globe, it was likely to be a hit with many children who have iPhone’s.

Unfortunately for Retter, the protective backing was not strong enough, and once leaked the chemical inside transferred onto the girl’s leg, burning the shape of her iPhone 5C into her skin, leaving a permeant mark.

Despite this, the mother claims that no safety warning was displayed on the case that cost her just £5.99.

‘There wasn’t a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself – nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns.

‘Imagine if it had leaked when Olivia was on the phone or holding it to her face – it could have gone on her face or her eyes.

‘You just don’t think something like that could happen.

‘A lot of young girls have similar phone cases and they have no idea how dangerous they are.’

New Look says that it is investigating the claims, and have already told all of their stores to stop selling the cases immediately, unfortunately for Oliva, that action is too late.

If you have one of these cases, or something similar to it, get rid of it. Go out and pick up an Apple certified case, there are many on the market from a range of trusted manufacturers, sure to provide you with a much better experience.

Via: Cult of Mac

Source: The Daily Mail

This article may include links to affilates, and if you click on one of these affilate links, we may recieve commission.