Something that makes Apple’s Lightning connector and MagSafe connectors great is their reversibility, thankfully this is something that will be soon moving away from just Apple, as it has been today revealed by the USB 3.0 Promoter Group that the next-generation USB plugs will be completely reversible.
Using the new USB Type-C connector that is currently under development to be used with USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 connections, the new ports will also allow for thinner and sleeker connections, expected to be completed by the middle of next year, the USB 3.0 Promoter Group says that the new Type-C connector and cable will include the following:
– An entirely new design tailored to work well with emerging product designs
– New smaller size – similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B
– Usability enhancements – users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in
– The Type-C connector and cable will support scalable power charging
– Scalability – the connector design will scale for future USB bus performance
You can find more information at the USB.org press release website.