A company called Miggo has launched a new Kickstarter project this week, called Pictar it is an iPhone enclosure that attempts to transform it into something that not only looks similar to a DSLR, but also features some of the same functions as one.
To bein with, Pictar has been designed to provide the kind of grip that you would expect from a DSLR, allowing you to take photos with one hand more comfortably. It has also been coated with an anti-slip material and allows the user to attach a wrist strap or neck strap to make it more secure.
It is ready to go for most of the existing models of the iPhone, and because it can be expanded, Miggo says it should fit future models of the iPhone as well.
But it’s not just a design and grip. Pictar also features a number of buttons, rings and wheels to allow you to control more aspects of your iPhone’s camera.
Here are the full features:
- Zoom ring – no longer do you need to pinch the screen to zoom in and out. Use the rotating zoom ring to zoom in and out with just one hand.
- Selfie button – switch between front and back camera
- Multi state shutter release – half press to lock focus and exposure, or full press for immediate shutter release
- Exposure Compensation Wheel – quickly and easily control the brightness level before taking a picture
- ‘Smart’ wheel – in default mode this control 7 preset modes to let users easily adjust the iPhone to any situation while focusing on taking the shot. Preset modes are auto, portrait mode, landscape mode, sport mode, snow mode, selfie mode and video mode. For the more advanced photographer you can choose between 3 advanced modes – shutter priority, ISO priority and manual.
- Virtual wheel – control different modes such as flash mode, shutter speed and more.
- Cold shoe mount to attach LED lights
- Tripod attachment
Check out the video below for a quick look, and make sure to hit up the source link to find out more, and back the project if you are interested.
They are offering early-bird backers a Pictar from $70 and they are looking for $100,000 in backing.
[Update] Pictar has now reached its stretch goal of $150,000, unlocking the production of the Pictar Plus model, which has been designed for use with the iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6S Plus. This tier will be available for those who pledge $100 or more.