Today at IFA 2017, Sony announced a new action camera that they plan to use to take on the GoPro.
It’s called the Sony RXO and will provide Sony RX series-level of image and video quality, among other RX features according to Sony.
Despite that, they have kept the design portable with a durable, yet compact body. It weighs just 110g and measures only 59mm x 40.5mm x 29.8mm.
It can also be used in a range of situations including in the rain, underwater, in a sandy environment, or where there is a lot of dust.
To top all of that off, it comes with Sony’s bullet-time and time-slice shooting modes, with support for Sony’s FA-WRC1M wireless radio commander, which allows users to trigger up to 15 RXO cameras.
The camera also works alongside Sony’s PlayMemories companion app on mobiles.
Here’s the full spec list for the new camera:
- 1.0-type stacked 15.3MPvi Exmor RSCMOS image sensor
- BIONZ X processor
- Wide-angle ZEISS Tessar T 24mm F4 fixed lens
- An Anti-Distortion Shutter of up to 1/32000 second
- Can shoot at up to 16fps,
- Waterproof at depths of up to 10m
- Extra MPK-HSR1 housing enables 100m depth
- Shockproof when dropped from up to 2m
- Crushproof to 200kgf / 2000N
- Super slow motion footage up to 1000fps
- 4K clean HDMI output
- MF Assist and Peaking Functions
- Picture Profile options and S-Log2
- Time Code / User Bit features
- Preset Focus options
- Works with a full range of accessories
The Sony RX0 will be available in Europe in October 2017 for €850, we don’t know about UK or US pricing just yet.