Yesterday Spotify held their own event titled ‘Special Announcement’ which turned out to be not so special as most of it was a lot of coca cola advertising, but one thing came out that was pretty cool which is their updated version of the Spotify for Android application, which adds support for phones running Ice Cream Sandwich alongside a new UI and extra features.
Here’s the full list of new features taken from the Spotify blog:
- Totally new app with full support for Android 4.0
- Top-to-bottom redesign
- All-new slide-out navigation
- Even more social – check out friends’ profile pages and playlists on the go
- Artist imagery in high resolution
- Related artist view – available for the first time on mobile
- ‘Extreme’ sound quality setting for 320kbps listening
- So much faster!
Alongside all of that Spotify also said they will be adding “further features, including folders and Last FM scrobbling, before the app goes live in Google Play.”
The app isn’t quite ready for download from the Google Play store but you can download a beta if you want to try the app out sooner. You can do this by first allowing installation from ‘Unknown Sources’ by going to the Settings > Applications > Unknown sources menu. Once you’ve done that visit this site on your phone and click this link: http://download.spotify.com/android/PreviewSpotifyAndroid.apk
You will as always need a premium account to run the app but it’s worth it.
Via [Spotify Blog]